Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I Truly Feel Like I'm ALIVE!!!

For those who haven't heard, I am the blessed and lucky recipient of a kidney.  A fully-functioning, healthy, perfectly matched kidney.  As my team likes to say, I won the organ lottery when it comes to my kidney.  And I thank God every day that he decided to bless me with another chance at living the fullest life possible.  I know I didn't do a thing to deserve this opportunity, it is a rare gift, and I will do my best to honor such a gift.

I woke up like any other morning--up at 6 am to get my daughter ready for her last day of summer school for the week and getting ready to run after walking her down to the end of the driveway.  I had just recently got my new fuel belt I had ordered from Amazon, and I couldn't wait to try it out on a medium distance run.  The run was beautiful--the air was rich with the smells of clean grass, and freshly overturned field earth, and I drank it all in.  When I do dialysis it would drain me, so when I recovered enough for a run the next day, I was grateful!  I did most of the run without stopping (had a slight bathroom break) and got back in good time.  I don't know why I checked my phone immediately, but I did, and saw that I had missed a call from Oklahoma.  When I called the number back I assumed it would be the transplant office calling me to confirm my August appointment.  You can only imagine my surprise when I was told that I had an "offer" of a kidney from Florida.  I was in shock, and couldn't believe it at first.  I had pretty much resigned myself to making a life for myself in the routine of dialysis and surviving.  I was a baby--I started crying and laughing like a crazy woman.  My mom and I ran around the house packing bags in a hurry, trying to remember every essential thing that we just might need, and also trying to hurry.  I had showered, and my head was in the clouds.  Gary stayed home to take care of our daughter, Snowden, and focused on holding down the fort while we went to the hospital.

At the transplant office I was informed I needed to get my blood tests and an EKG.  We ran all over that hospital campus, and we didn't get to eat our lunch until about 2 pm.  If I had known the doctor was going to be so strict, I would have been gulping buckets of water the entire time, but as it happened, I was an idiot, and suffered greatly after being admitted to the hospital and discovering I couldn't drink a drop of water, let alone suck on an ice chip.  That did not go over well...and why do they think a SOUR NASTY lemon glycerin swab is going to help??!!!  Let's just say, I think the nurses were looking forward to knocking me out at 10 am the next morning for surgery.  The doctors and nurses at St. John's in Tulsa were amazing!!! I actually went in to the surgery on time, despite a last minute decree from the anesthesiologist that I needed to take a pregnancy test before surgery.  I laughed all the way to the bathroom with my pee cup.

When I woke up, I was in the adult ICU.  I INSTANTLY felt better--normal, somehow.  I was talking a mile a minute to anyone who was in the room with me.  My brothers and sisters-in-laws (sisters) came down to be with me after the surgery.  EVEN my nieces came in and said how-do-you-do, which was a very nice surprise.  I talked so much that I stressed my newly cut abdomen muscles (the old c-section bikini cut) and I need a pain shot.  But it was worth every bit of pain.  I couldn't believe how well I felt.  The surgeons were surprised at how quickly the kidney "woke up" inside of me.  The surgeon told me that it instantly "pinked up and started working right away" as soon as he had made all the necessary attachments.  In fact, I was released from the hospital 3 days later, late Monday afternoon.  But we still had to stay in Tulsa due to daily lab draws and meetings at the transplant clinic, so Mom and I got a room at the Inn at The Expo Center (next to Big Splash).  That motel was great, I couldn't have asked for a better set-up.  Mom and I couldn't wait to get home, though.  We knew Gary was struggling with his back and knee problems and being Mr.Mom and Old McDonald at the same time.  In fact, I know he was pushing his luck, and his knee.  So--after a week of my impatience, and steadily healing body, the doctors released me to go home Friday after my labs were drawn, and that they were confident I wouldn't mess up the large amount of medications I had to ingest twice a day.

I have been cranky, and temperamental, mainly due to hormones and high amounts of prednisone, but I have always felt such a deep gratitude for the absolute awe-inspiring blessings that surround me and my family.  I cannot believe how normal I feel now, I actually have body heat now!!!  It has made me realize just how sick I was, even maintaining good labs and a good dialysis routine.  I can't wait to run again...I did a light little jog to test how I felt, and I know it will be amazing when I heal enough to engage in that activity again.  I plan on being able to get together with my sis, Chelle, and travelling to do runs together, now that I am not tied down to a dialysis chair.  I have decided new kidney, new rules.  I hadn't actually enjoyed a glass of wine for about a couple of months before the transplant (because of serious running and ab training) and I feel that to honor such a gift, I will just leave off any alcohol.  I want to keep a good diet, which is a little more difficult, since all vegetables and fruit have to be cooked before I can ingest them.  No fresh lettuce salad for me, but I will steam all kinds of fresh veggies!  So many things have happened in such a short amount of time and I have definitely been overwhelmed at times.  But with so much wonderful love and support from family and friends, I do not fear the future.  My heart has expanded so much, I feel that it might burst from my chest at times.  I thank God for being with me in every valley and mountain I have encountered, and for giving me such a supportive base of family and friends to walk the path with me.  I thank everyone for being patient and supportive of me, even when I didn't deserve such unconditional love.  THANK YOU!! Remember, we are all LIVING this life, no matter what we face, and we should be thankful for each breath that continues the blessings of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment